1When the New Testament writers called Jesus 'Lord', they were saying that he is God. True or False?
1. False. In the language of the Old Testament there are two distinct forms of the word "lord." One means God, the other a superior who is not God. The oracle which predicts the Messiah, the Lord Jesus (Ps. 110:1) gives him the title "lord," which refers to a person who is not God. To distinguish Deity from non-Deity, the Hebrew Old Testament speaks of the Lord God as ADONAI (449 times) and of superiors who are not God as ADONI (my lord) 195 times. In Psalm 110:1 the LORD (here Yahweh, the personal name of God) addresses a prophecy to David's lord, the Messiah. Jesus and the New Testament writers, as well as the rabbis, knew that this was a prophecy about the Messiah (see the conversation in Matt. 22:41-46). The "lord" addressed by Yahweh is given the title ADONI (my lord), an address never used of Deity. Notice how important this Psalm is for New Testament Christianity: "It is clear from the Apostles' quotation of the Old Testament that they had a strong preference for particular passages - Psalm 110 was the most favored of all" (Professor Michael Green, Evangelism Now and Then, p. 65).
2The book of Revelation is John's revelation. True or False?
2. False. It is the revelation of (i.e. given by) Jesus Christ, which God gave to Jesus, and Jesus gave to John.
3The Bible says: 'Let us hold fast the confession of our faith…' True or False?
3. False. The King James Version mistranslates Hebrews 10:23 where modern versions render the Greek correctly: "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope."
4Satan in the Bible is just a word to describe the evil of human nature. True or False?
4. False. Satan with the definite article (the Satan or the Devil) always refers to a supernatural being.
5The Bible teaches that man has an immortal soul. True or False?
5. False. According to the Bible "only God has immortality" (1 Tim. 6:16), and the phrase "immortal soul" is found nowhere in the Scriptures. In fact the soul is expressly said to be mortal. It means a living person, or the life of that person.
6Jesus is called Almighty God in the Bible. True or False?
6. False. That title is reserved for the Father of Jesus. Jesus represents God but is distinguished from Him.
7The Bible speaks of a time when 'there will be time no longer.' True or False?
7. False. This is a mistranslation in the KJV. The correct translation is "there will be no more delay."
81 John 5:7, which speaks of the 'Father, the Word and the Spirit' as being one, is not a genuine biblical verse. True or False?
8. True. It is a spurious addition to the text and was not penned by any Bible writer. It is omitted in modern versions.