Restoration Fellowship is dedicated to recovering the beliefs of the first-century disciples of Jesus, the Messiah. Sound theology begins with the creed to which Jesus subscribed in Mark 12:28-29 — the creed of Israel (Deuteronomy 6:4) — and God's Gospel about the Kingdom (Mark 1:14-15).
Jesus commanded belief in that Gospel Message in contrast to much modern evangelism which often ignores Jesus' Message about the Kingdom of God.
Restoration Fellowship was founded by Sir Anthony Buzzard, Bt., MA (Oxon.) MA Th. in 1981.
1When the New Testament writers called Jesus 'Lord', they were saying that he is God. True or False?
1. False. In the language of the Old Testament there are two distinct forms of the word "lord." One means God, the other a superior who is not God. The oracle which predicts the Messiah, the Lord Jesus (Ps. 110:1) gives him the title "lord," which refers to a person who is not God. To distinguish Deity from non-Deity, the Hebrew Old Testament speaks of the Lord God as ADONAI (449 times) and of superiors who are not God as ADONI (my lord) 195 times. In Psalm 110:1 the LORD (here Yahweh, the personal name of God) addresses a prophecy to David's lord, the Messiah. Jesus and the New Testament writers, as well as the rabbis, knew that this was a prophecy about the Messiah (see the conversation in Matt. 22:41-46). The "lord" addressed by Yahweh is given the title ADONI (my lord), an address never used of Deity. Notice how important this Psalm is for New Testament Christianity: "It is clear from the Apostles' quotation of the Old Testament that they had a strong preference for particular passages - Psalm 110 was the most favored of all" (Professor Michael Green, Evangelism Now and Then, p. 65).
2The book of Revelation is John's revelation. True or False?
2. False. It is the revelation of (i.e. given by) Jesus Christ, which God gave to Jesus, and Jesus gave to John.
3The Bible says: 'Let us hold fast the confession of our faith…' True or False?
3. False. The King James Version mistranslates Hebrews 10:23 where modern versions render the Greek correctly: "Let us hold fast the confession of our hope."
4Satan in the Bible is just a word to describe the evil of human nature. True or False?
4. False. Satan with the definite article (the Satan or the Devil) always refers to a supernatural being.
5The Bible teaches that man has an immortal soul. True or False?
5. False. According to the Bible "only God has immortality" (1 Tim. 6:16), and the phrase "immortal soul" is found nowhere in the Scriptures. In fact the soul is expressly said to be mortal. It means a living person, or the life of that person.
6Jesus is called Almighty God in the Bible. True or False?
6. False. That title is reserved for the Father of Jesus. Jesus represents God but is distinguished from Him.
7The Bible speaks of a time when 'there will be time no longer.' True or False?
7. False. This is a mistranslation in the KJV. The correct translation is "there will be no more delay."
81 John 5:7, which speaks of the 'Father, the Word and the Spirit' as being one, is not a genuine biblical verse. True or False?
8. True. It is a spurious addition to the text and was not penned by any Bible writer. It is omitted in modern versions.
9Jesus was an angel before he was born. True or False?
9. False. Jesus was never an angel or an archangel (Heb. 1:4-13).
10God would never delude anyone. True or False?
10. False. The Bible says that under certain circumstances God sends a strong delusion to those who "refuse to love the Truth in order to be saved" (2 Thess. 2:10-13).
11God is usually described by plural pronouns and is often the subject of plural verbs. True or False?
11. False. Thousands and thousands of times God is described by singular pronouns and singular verbs.
12Jesus promised to come back and take believers to heaven. True or False?
12. False. He never promised to take anyone to heaven as their final abode. He promised that they would inherit the earth and rule on the earth with him (Matt. 5:5; Rev. 5:10).
13The word 'God' in the Bible often means 'God in three Persons.' True or False?
13. False. None of the thousands of occurrences of the word God in the Bible means "God in three Persons."
14The Bible speaks of 'the end of time' and 'the end of history.' True or False?
14. False. The Bible nowhere speaks of the "end of time." Rather it speaks of the future "end of the age" which will introduce the beginning of "the age to come" or the Kingdom of God.
15Jesus during his ministry said that he was going back to the Father. True or False?
15. False. Jesus said in John's gospel that he was going to the Father, not going back to the Father. (Please consult the NIV of John 16:28 and compare the correct translation in the KJV.)
16'Word of God' is really just another way of saying 'the Bible.' True or False?
16. False. Although this is true in popular language today, it is untrue to the Bible. The Bible calls itself "the Scriptures," almost never the "word of God." What is the meaning of the phrase "word of God"? It is the technical term, almost a "code" word, for the saving Gospel preached by the New Testament Christians.